Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Children's Chair

I think this may be my favorite project thus far! I bought this chair (note, it's solid wood and in excellent condition) for $7 from Savers. The only thing wrong with it was the paint job and some scratches in the wood.  Make sure that whenever you buy furniture pieces from discount stores or garage sales, that it is in good to excellent condition if you're not wanting to do a lot of work on it.
Let me just tell you that it's best to do the sanding when you're angry. You're much more productive. Which was the case in this situation.
 
I sanded this baby's trouble spots (not many) and then cleaned it with soap and water and a rag.

 
I chose to use Duck Egg Blue from Annie Sloan. And I love the way it turned out! Remember to paint in a well lit area! I did two coats and then touched up areas I missed.

After all of the coats dried I used my Martha Stewart stencil (you can use any brand, obviously) and a sponge brush and stenciled this design in to the center of the seat. Make sure you take the time to get a ruler out and center the image.
 
It's best to kind of blot the paint onto the piece through the stencil.


I used Renaissance "Snow" colored paint.

So cute! I love it. My husband helped me pick out the stencil and he keeps saying "I can't believe how good it looks!"

We had a busy day yesterday so I didn't get the chance to sand off the drips and wax it. I will do that later tonight.

I WAS going to seal it with a polycrylic, since a children's chair will undoubtedly get some beatings. However, I'm thinking the owner of this chair may want to use this for decorative purposes. And as you all know, I love the matte finish look that the clear wax provides! I also decided to not distress or dark wax this at all. I just wanted a really clean, classic look for this one.

I will make sure I post the final product! Good luck, ladies and gents!

FYI, my friend Rebecca (I mentioned her in an earlier post) is having me paint her bar stools. So those are my next project and I'll keep you updated on those!

"Adults are just outdated children."- Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment