Friday, November 20, 2015

Bar Stools for Rebecca

I finally finished these incredible bar stools!
 I was honored that my friend Rebecca asked me to tackle these babies..
 
After
 
 
These are the before pictures...
 
The seat portion of this stool had been painted gray by the previous owner with latex paint. I was worried about painting over it and thought I may have to strip it. Upon testing a few strokes of the chalk paint I discovered it wasn't necessary and yet again, the Annie Sloan chalk paint has worked it's magic.

There were two black stools and a white stool with gray seat, and a kind of spotted stool (I think someone had started sanding it)


I was worried that the light paint color of Duck Egg Blue wouldn't be enough to cover up the black (especially since I water each coat down), but I found the very opposite to be true.

This is the "spotted" one I was talking about. I thought the paint color I put on it wouldn't wouldn't be enough to cover up the underlying "issues" . But I was wrong. The final color turned out to be completely even and beautiful.

This is just one coat of paint. I ended up doing three coats on each stool, however 2 coats would have been adequate. I was pleasantly surprised!
 
I did some sandpapering before I started because of these spots with weird texture. Only took a few swipes. Make sure you take care of these issues or else it will show in your final product.
 

After 3 coats of this beautiful color I took it outside and took a pic. You'll see how different the color looks in natural light vs. indoor light.

 
After three coats on each stool, I used Minwax Polycrylic finish to provide adequate protection.

I then applied dark wax lightly (at Rebecca's request).
 

I picked random places to put the dark wax. But usually it was the corners and edges. I really like the way they turned out!

My only complaint is the wax brush I bought online. The Annie Sloan wax brushes are much better because they are dome shaped, or oval shaped.
 

This brush was flat at the top so it was hard to get the dark wax into the nooks and crannies.
 


I used Minwax Polycrylic rather than clear wax in order to provide more adequate protection. Glad I did it! And Rebecca will be glad too, I'm telling you.
 
*Remember! You can put wax over polycrylic finish but you can't put polycrylic finish over wax. So, if you're working on a project and have put the clear wax on already, you can't put the polycrylic finish over it. Sorry!


As your painting you'll notice that your paint drips (especially since you're watering it down). It's less work for you if you smooth out the drips while they are wet. Otherwise you will have to sand the drips down once the coat has dried.
 

I loved this project and I learned a lot!
 
Thanks, Rebecca!
 
If you live in the Salt Lake City area, I would love to take on YOUR project! Let me know if you're in need!
 
Here are the steps if you're wanting to do this project on your own:
 
1. Use sand paper to smooth out trouble areas. Clean barstools.
 
2. Paint first coat. Once dried, sand out any drips.
 
3. Apply second coat. Once dried, sand out any drips.
 
4. Repeat last 2 steps if you feel the need to do 3 coats.
 
5. Apply Minwax Polycrylic finish. Let dry. Apply another coat. Let dry.
 
6. Apply dark wax with wax brush in areas desired, to give the piece some character. Let dry.
 
All done!
 
 
I have to say that I really do love that there are no fumes in this paint and that if it happens to drip on to your clothes it comes out easily. 
 
Loving this stuff!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Heidi! These are beautiful!! I can't thank you enough!! You did a wonderful job and I am so grateful you took on my project!

    ReplyDelete