Positives!
I have to say, that I really love it! The consistency is pretty perfect. It's thin enough that it's not lumpy or "gloppy" (if that's a word... probably not), but thick enough that I'm only going to have to do 2 coats on this project and I probably could have gotten away with one! Granted, the original underlying wood stain was very light. It was thick enough that I didn't have to keep catching a ton of drips. There were obviously some drips, but not as much.
I really like that I didn't have to keep adding water to each portion of paint like I usually have to with Annie Sloan paint. That really saved me some time.
The color looked good. After adding the plaster of paris the latex paint seemed to retain it's color.
It's a lot less expensive than Annie Sloan! You get more for your money, and, there are so many more colors to choose from! Don't get me wrong, I think that Annie Sloan's colors are very classy. But they are limited, let's be honest. I used Behr latex paint and primer (combined)
Now, let's get negative... The cons....
It was a bit of a pain to mix it myself (but enough that the cheaper price makes it worth it). It was a little more messy and made prep time a bit longer.
Let's be honest, there's no way to know if the homemade version can withstand the test of time compared Annie Sloan's. That can only be tested over time...
I strongly urge you to try it! I personally think I will use up the Annie Sloan paint I have and then after that continue to just make the paint on my own. And then if I notice any problems with the home made version in the future I will let ya know! I suppose I should use it on several different projects before I form an official opinion on it!
I'm really excited because I'll be starting a new project hopefully this week! My sister needs her old piano painted before her son's baptism, and she is requesting that I do it! It's such an honor and how fun will it be to paint it and to document it for you guys!
There are lots of good piano painting tutorials out there, but of course mine will be the best!
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?" - Martin Luther King, Jr.
More upcoming projects!!
-I'm going to be painting my night stand and painting/staining my dresser!!
No comments:
Post a Comment