Well, it's been about 2 months since I finished my Old White end table that I showed off in my last post. Sorry it's been so long! We moved and I haven't had much time to start my next project!
How Long for Paint to Dry
How long should I let my paint dry before waxing?? That depends- Could be 20 minutes, could be 2-3 hours. This depends on the atmosphere in which you're painting. A more ventilated room will allow the piece to dry faster.
*Tip! Don't wait too long in between painting and wax application. The purpose of the wax is to protect the paint. Without that protection the dried chalk paint can calcify (again, depending on how well ventilated the room is)
Problem- Thick Wax!!
I've learned some valuable information about Annie Sloan Clear Wax application process. I discovered that a lot of beginners are having this problem- putting too much of the clear wax on their piece! I did this with my end table and as a result, the surface is feeling very soft and basically leaves an imprint of everything I set on it. Bummer! More is not better, people!
When applying the clear wax (after you've let the paint dry adequately, of course) make sure you use a minimal amount. Make the layer thin! And buff it in to the paint a lot! So much, that when you run your hand down its surface, your fingers slide across it smoothly (no drag). Get all of the little wax balls off. I wish I had learned (or paid attention...one of the two...) to this small yet important detail about the clear wax.
Also, remember: Once you have applied the wax and let it dry, you can't take it off or paint over it (or put polycrylic over it). It does, however, wear off after time (that's why it's smart to re-apply the wax every 3 years or so, in general), so if you put too much on, you can be confident that the excess will eventually wear off. I don't know exactly how long it takes though.
Glad I messed up so that I could warn you guys :)
Multiple Coats
You can do more than one layer of wax. Especially if the furniture piece is going to be used a lot. In this case I would follow this schedule:
Day 1- Wax one thin coat of Clear Wax. Buff it in.
Day 2- Do second coat of wax. Buff it in. (If second coat is not desired, just buff it again)
Buff! And How to Limit Wax!
The trick is to buff! It really pushes the wax into the paint. The other trick is to apply really thin layers! Put a small amount of the wax onto a paper plate and get the wax on to your brush from that location, rather than the can. This will help limit the amount you get on your brush.
Do I have to use a wax brush?
You can also use a cheese cloth, old white shirt, or microfiber towel (make sure whatever you use is lint-less and colorless. And don't use a terry cloth towel!!)
Adding Dark Wax
If you choose to use the dark wax (remember, the dark wax is optional, depending on the look you want), apply it right after the clear wax. So, for example- work the clear wax into a small-ish surface area (maybe ten by ten inches, depending on how big your furniture piece is), buff, and then add the dark wax to that same area. And then do this set of steps to each section. Don't let the clear wax dry before putting the dark wax on! This allows you to remove excess dark wax as desired.
To Remove Excess and Unwanted Dark Wax
Whether you're using a rag or a brush, add some clear wax on top of the dark wax you mistakenly applied and then wipe off. It acts as an eraser.
*Tip: You can also use a baby wipe to remove unwanted dark wax. Baby wipe can also be used to clean piece after using sand paper on it (with our without paint already applied).
No comments:
Post a Comment