I haven't completed this project yet, but I'm so anxious to show you the beginning stages!
I forgot to do a "before" picture again! I'm sure my sister has one lying around somewhere. This is my sister's 100 year old piano and she asked me to paint it! She actually asked me quite a while ago and I'm just now finding the time to do it!
It's an incredibly beautiful piano. She bought it off of KSL for free, I think. Or practically free. One of the two.
This is a picture of just one coat of paint. I used the homemade chalk paint recipe, which you can get from an earlier blog post of mine. I really like it so far. It's the same paint color I used on the children's rocking chair. And I'm going to give my sister that rocking chair so she can have matching furniture in her front room! Fun! I'm also probably going to paint some picture frames for her, in the same color. We don't want that room to be too matchy matchy, but it's fun, anyway.
It's more of an aqua color and as I add the coats and polycrylic finish, the color will get deeper and bolder. Side note: my husband would really appreciate my niece's sweater choice. He went to BYU for college.
I'm LOVING this project! It's a lot of work, though, because there are so many little knobs, hinges, and of course piano keys that you have to carefully paint around.
Also, we chose not to do any sanding, for fear that particles could get in between the piano keys. That's why my sister chose chalk paint, specifically. I think that was a smart idea. The paint really covers up the imperfections.
*Something that I've noticed about the homemade paint vs. Annie Sloan paint: AS paint produces a smoother surface than the homemade paint and I'm wondering if it's because Annie Sloan grinds her Plaster of Paris down to a finer grit. I'm going to do some research to see if I can grind my Plaster of Paris down to finer particles. I will let you know what I find!
No comments:
Post a Comment